NetSuite provides a read-only ODBC driver (common way to access a databases) to connect to its platform.Â We are interested in this because we offer Secure Remote SQL Reporting Services which closes the gap for businesses that wish to fully leverage Cloud Computing but have discovered that NetSuite’s built-in report tools are not quite good enough.
Setup of the NetSuite ODBC Driver requires the following:
- Module Add-on Package purchased from NetSuite.
- Get the ODBC driver installed on client machines.Â The ODBC Driver is available for download on the NetSuite Settings Dashboard. In our case, we configured this with our Remote SQL Reporting services integrated with Windows SharePoint Services.Â For the purposes of this discussion, we will use Microsoft Access to illustrate connectivity.Â The driver is available for download from the NetSuite dashboard Setting Portlet.
- Download and Install OpenSSL offered from Shining Light Productions.Â Additional C++ distributables may be required.Â Â Â These are clearly referenced on the site.Â Be sure to donate to help further the cause to keep software costs low.
- Configure the Windows ODBC Driver.
- Provide your NetSuite user name and password.
- Link to interested tables and provide reference to the respective primary key(s).Â Use the NetSuite “Table of ODBC Views” guide for reference within the Help system.
- Optionally, setup relationships to let the tools help you during the development of your queries.
- Retrieve data into your application.
Below are screen shots of the configuration basic steps: